"ignore the story. see the soul. remember to love. you will never regret it" --- Seane Corn

"ignore the story. see the soul. remember to love. you will never regret it" --- Seane Corn
it's a jungle out there

Monday, May 25, 2009

Burnt toast

So the other evening at work, one of the medical assistants was like,"I think I have ADD. I never thought so before, but I think maybe I do. I think maybe I need medication". 
She probably doesn't have ADD. What she had was 3 kids in 4 years. A job. School to get a better job. A mother in law. Oh, yeah, and a husband. 

I never had ADD either. Ever. Until I had 3 kids in 4 years, a job, a house, a dog, 2 cats, 3 chickens, and a husband who worked 10 hr days with a 4 hour commute and a stupid fucking save the planet food obsession

Unless it's microwaved, it's burned. I burn pancakes, I burn french toast, I burn grilled cheese. I burn eggs gross. I burn stuff, and then get stressed because I've trashed the precious eggs from our chickens, the organic butter, and the Amish cheese... and the kids are still hungry

I burned the cupcakes for Mia's birthday three times. I thought my head was going to explode. I burn stuff because I'm always doing 157 things at the same time.
On not so good days, I'll stand in tears at the stove. Ty will come and put his arms around me and say "its alright, Mommy"

Today, Mia was eating leftover pizza and wanted a fork.  I got up, and came back with scissors...nope...went back for a fork, and came back with the spatula that I used to scrape the burnt pizza cheese off the oven floor... try again... next it was a fresh cup of coffee... still no fork. By that time, she had eaten most of the pizza with her fingers which is the way it should be but that's not the point

I never finish anything anymore except for cursing at burnt food. We've lived in this house for two and a half years, and I still haven't finished painting the inside. I decided to paint the porch and trim, and that's not done either. When I'm in cleaning mode, I bounce from one task to another, usually don't complete any and then run out of time and have to start over another day.

I never used to burn things, just like I never had ADD. But there never used to be so much shit in my head, and so much to do, and so many people to take care of. 

My guess is there are a lot of moms out there who have developed ADD.

Gotta go...I think I smell something burning  could be my 3 remaining brain cells

6 comments:

  1. you are ALSO finishing more posts than you can shake a stick at...

    and i am proving your point by NOT finishing the organizing of my new (YAY!) studio by (what's the word DAMMIT!) calming(?) soothing(?) my ADD with your blog in its vein...

    wait...PLACATING!

    ReplyDelete
  2. this blog for me is like that thing the kids do with their thumbs

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know exactly how you feel. I am always going from one thing to another, and I never seem to fini

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am LMAO!!!!!!
    I totally agree with your synopsis of the difference bt ADD and just having an insane amount of things going on. I swear, everyone I KNOW right now is convinced they have ADD and I'm like - um, helllllloooooo.... half the freakin' WORLD has it, which means its no longer a 'disorder' but the new norm.

    I am sooooo YOU, its freaky. I am constantly boiling my tea kettle dry every time I put water on for tea. I'll do it multiple times in a row too. And like, going to the table a million times with everything BUT the one thing you are SUPPOSED to have gotten. HA! I'm glad I'm not the only one out there :) I love the way you write.

    ReplyDelete
  5. In my house (and the kids are grown up so that's no excuse any more so I guess it's just dementia) we call this the "but firsts". I'll get you a fork but first I have to get coffee. Or scrape the floor. Whatever.
    I'll paint the porch but first I have to live my life.
    Etc.

    ReplyDelete

so... wadaya think?

Your fairy is called Columbine Icedancer
She is a bone chilling bringer of justice for the vulnerable.
She lives in mushroom fields and quiet meadows.
She is only seen when the bees swarm and the crickets chirrup.
She wears lilac and purple like columbine flowers. She has icy blue butterfly wings.