"ignore the story. see the soul. remember to love. you will never regret it" --- Seane Corn

"ignore the story. see the soul. remember to love. you will never regret it" --- Seane Corn
it's a jungle out there

Saturday, July 11, 2009

Treasures

Our first day out. Despite overcast skies and a constant drizzle, the magic of the Maine coastal beach was not lost on the kids. They spent hours exploring the craggy rocks at Pemaquid Lighthouse.  On their own, with the whole place to themselves.

sharp salty sea air
seagulls
the Dusty dog keeping close tabs when they took off

Crashing waves, wind blowing ocean mist in their faces. 
happy as clams

Finding crabs, mussels, starfish
mommy look at this one

and this one
smelled really good when we got them home
(the kids and the treasures)

HEROES
how effin cool are they?


In this place, they are not bored, they do not beg to leave. They get lost in the universe of a tidal pool, and the microcosm of a seaweed bed. Leaping across the rocks in search of souvenirs to fill their hoodie pockets. Feeling adventurous and free and invincible. Independent. Unburdened. Nekkid of all that is cumbersome and heavy and manufactured. 

Do you remember that feeling? I do. Sometimes, if every thing is just right, I can still feel that way. If I've gotten a good night's sleep, and my knees don't hurt, and I'm just over my period, and I dump all the shit in my head, I can still feel that way. I can leap across rocks, and get sprayed by ocean waves, and see a universe in a tidal pool. And feel free. Sometimes. Still.

4 comments:

  1. I am lovin' that I see YOU in your children.
    Welcome home and back to blogging!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful! I just LOVE that "Heroes" shot of your kids!

    Ah, the magic of nature. Awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I feel as if I've been given a present with that post. Your children- I'm breathless with their beauty.
    And yes, sometimes, once in a while, very seldom (which makes it that much more precious) I still feel that way.
    Beautiful.
    Welcome back.

    ReplyDelete

so... wadaya think?

Your fairy is called Columbine Icedancer
She is a bone chilling bringer of justice for the vulnerable.
She lives in mushroom fields and quiet meadows.
She is only seen when the bees swarm and the crickets chirrup.
She wears lilac and purple like columbine flowers. She has icy blue butterfly wings.