"ignore the story. see the soul. remember to love. you will never regret it" --- Seane Corn

"ignore the story. see the soul. remember to love. you will never regret it" --- Seane Corn
it's a jungle out there

Wednesday, May 20, 2009

mama mia



Mia is my challenging one. 
Intense, creative, unpredictable. Gorgeous-but sometimes painfully self-conscious. 
Intuitive. Sensitive. Huge emotions in a skinny little body. 
Although I am the alpha female by status, she is the alpha by personality, so we are in constant conflict.
Always a struggle, always a standoff. 
With Mia, I'm quick to say no, quick to sigh in exasperation... 
as though she's a perpetual pain in my ass 
quick to snap. 

Today started out as one of those days for Mia...a day when nothing is right...nothing is OK 
 I knew how the morning would end...with her clinging to me, sobbing into my belly by her first grade classroom door, the teacher's aide trying to free me from the mia death grip. So this morning I said fuckit how 'bout a Mia & Mommy Day. 
oh the smile oh the grateful love in her eyes. This was special. 
I'm that mom who fills my kid full of Motrin and says "tell your teacher you're on Amoxicillin ...and DON'T cough". 
So to stay home just because-unheard of at our house. 


 We strolled on Main St and sat at the sushi bar for lunch. 
Mia had the California roll, I had the spicy salmon. 
I tried not to think about mercury, farm raised vs wild, or avocados from Ecuador. 
This was our day together. Mother and daughter. Cultivating relationship 

mommy, don't even THINK about touching my food


Mia loves her California roll



 We strolled down Main St some more, to the micro-batch popsicle place. 
Mia chose chocolate, I chose cucumber chili mint. 
YUM 
no, really it was delicious



...and a Coke... sshh...don't tell the boys... 
what a treat!!




Mia sure enjoyed that popsicle


Oh, did I tell you? 
Mia cries when she sees a picture of her Grandpa who passed when she was 6 months old mommy i miss him soooo much. 
She'll find pet bugs and let them crawl on her face
and love them to death
mommy they're my friends
And she'll snuggle-up and smooch and cuddle forever if you let her. 

It was a lovely day. 
Me and my Mia

3 comments:

  1. i'm glad you decided to stay up and post, but now I'M the one crying...i love that girl.

    and look at those darn eyes in that last shot!

    ReplyDelete
  2. she is so beautiful. like CRAZY beautiful. wow.

    and I love that you took the day. I do that...probably more than the school would approve of...but I think it is so important.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I used to do that with my kids. "Free days!" I called them.
    Your children are so beautiful.

    ReplyDelete

so... wadaya think?

Your fairy is called Columbine Icedancer
She is a bone chilling bringer of justice for the vulnerable.
She lives in mushroom fields and quiet meadows.
She is only seen when the bees swarm and the crickets chirrup.
She wears lilac and purple like columbine flowers. She has icy blue butterfly wings.